There are two parts to this discussion: the first is an overview of several issues and events and the second part is a specific discussion of what Bundy did to me as a victim during the four years he stalked me and repeatedly kidnapped me. My story is entirely supported by the evidence that was sealed away. I could not have known of it and it is impossible to retrofit yourself into situations and locations decades later. I am that survivor Bundy talked of to authorities behind the scenes. The problem is that they never wanted the “she said” part of the story to be heard by the public as it raises questions about the conduct of the authorities at the time and the hiding of evidence. They sealed away documents that showed just how much evidence was really found at Taylor Mountain and how much evidence was callously disregarded and not protected by chain of custody or silence. Rather, the evidence was denied and stories rushed to media, leaving behind over 50 cases of unsolved missing/murdered girls in a three county area during the early 1970s alone. Not to mention the three unidentified girls whose remains were found at Issaquah and Taylor Mountain [combined]. Those girls are forever lost.
My emails date and time stamped precede the records by many years. They line up directly to case facts many of which were in the sealed area – there are over 50 direct points of correlation in my experiences back then all of them predating the records release to me by years if not decades. Sealing away critical evidence in a homicide series of investigations when a potentially important surviving victim and witness is coming forward is called Spoilation of Evidence. It is also considered corruption and I question whether it is a violation of the law for obstruction of justice and tampering with evidence. The movement of documents into a sealed area was occurring in 1999 as well as 2012 per internal memos released to me. WA State [also per internal memos] ordered evidence destroyed and failed to protect other evidence critical to the cases.
Sara: Ted Bundy Victim [high school, 1972]
I resembled closely Laura Aime, Georgann Hawkins, and other Utah victims and WA State victims – Laura Aime was the same age I had been and she had a very similar haircut and his actions towards her per witnesses were very similar to what he did to me. I resembled several other victims and so did my friends at the time – eerily so.
The following is a summary of what he did to me: This is the “she said” of the story — behind the scenes I’ve been accused as being “consensual” and discounted as only wanting publicity but I’ve been coming forward to authorities for two decades asking for their help in closing a few cases that I know to be associated to his stalking of me. Bundy was a serial killer – not unlike any other; there are other serial killers who left surviving victims that they held in their possession even while killing other victims. Why they released the victim, or why Bundy chose to release me over and over, is a choice the killer makes and the victim has nothing at all to do with it. Their reasons are their own – perhaps to toy with the life of one victim or perhaps to not have to kill a victim knowing that the victim is so traumatized they are of little risk. I don’t know. But I do know that Bundy’s actions towards me were driven by his own pathology and that I was a victim of that pathology with no control or say in any of it.
Overview of my experiences:
- Bundy did not constantly hit his victims while in captivity – at least he did not do that to me. Bundy used drugging and alcohol imbibing in WA State just as he did in Utah and that is supported in my memories going back to 2001 as well as what was found on site in Issaquah and Taylor Mountain. He was using drugs and alcohol on me during the time I was held incapacitated – I was NEVER not bound during captures; only unbound right before release when I could barely walk and could hardly remember anything but bits and pieces and felt like I was coming out of a surgery. In his interview with WA State officials in prison in 1984 related to the Green River killer’s ability to keep victims under control Bundy makes the following comment, “…maybe he’s using drugs to sort of take the edge off any retaliation and you asked….I’m sure you’ve looked at their autopsies to determine that and even that is not conclusive…” Interesting comment in that Bundy had drugs in Utah that he showed Liz, I complained of it since 2001 and the autopsy reports of at least one of his victims in Utah showed the use of alcohol to imbibe her – she had alcohol poisoning. This is a very important part of Bundy’s MO when girls were once within his possession and I believe it is at least part of the reason he would release me so he could recapture me periodically – he knew I wouldn’t be able to report him because I was imbibed or drugged during the capture and assaults. He worked with a medical supply company – he was actively thinking about his killing and using every resource at his disposal including manipulating friendships and allies.
- He hit me on the head during the initial capture of me, usually coming up on me from behind; but once I was in his possession I was bound and/or restrained until release and I was never fully aware. A few times he did hit me on the head while in captivity if I came to and jolted all of a sudden or if I was coming out of the unconsciousness state and was trying to stand or get away. It was all about control and hitting me once I was restrained and contained during capture, at least by memory, seemed to me by feelings associated to those memories, to be done out of anger and containment of me or out of frustration. I was young and active back then and metabolized any drugs [even antibiotics] rapidly. His dosing of me didn’t always work the way he intended. He also brought me out when there was activity he wanted to do and he needed me to be semi-aware of it and able to be responsive. But I never had control ever – and I was never free, never unbound, until I was eventually released – and there was never any talking. It was always silent. He never told me ahead of time what he was going to do – he just did it. I was never fully aware of all that happened to me when I was released – I could barely walk and my memory was severely impacted.
- I was in and out of consciousness nearly all the time while held by him and this is in my memory fragments years before anything about him was released and years before I got the records. He was using date rape drugs and alcohol to ply his victims proven by autopsies on victims in Utah [also in the records], more than likely either home-made date rape drugs or that he’d stolen while working at a medical supply business. My memories date and time stamped going back years refer over and over to loss of consciousness while in captivity and to his actions with me as a victim which included bathing and repeated types of sexual assault which were very repetitive and organized in terms of progression and what he did and how he did it. It was ritualistic. Autopsy reports on a Utah victim show that she also had been bathed. My memory was correct in that regard – it surfaced before I had the records.
- Records sealed away for decades support me in the above statements. There was no decapitation in either of Bundy’s WA sites that were found and to my knowledge no decapitation of victims in Utah – and I doubt, based on the actual case files, if there was ever necrophilia. His intent to me, having lived through it multiple times, was to keep the victim alive somewhere secured, out of view, and immobilized by drugging or imbibing. I personally was never gone long enough to arouse alarm but I was also never fully conscious during all of it and I was released in a manner where my slurring and staggering would be perceived as part of a party atmosphere and not as anything suspicious. There were abandoned homes near each site in WA.
- Small bottles were found at the sites of both Issaquah and Taylor Mountain where the victims were found [skeletal remains] – at Issaquah they are noted as small bottles and at Taylor Mountain they are noted as chemical bottles. There was NO decapitation at either site but there was evidence of animal activity and scattered remains. Liz found him with a date rape drug in Utah and that is in her book. A thermos is found by a skull, snug tie and rope, chemical bottles and skeletal remains of girls are found – and yet authorities claim publicly nothing of importance was found at Taylor Mountain in a murder investigation…
- There was evidence of the killer on site at each location and evidence of potential bondage and that the victims had been kept alive possibly for at least awhile. At Taylor Mountain a lean to had been found, a thermos, food wrappers, chemical bottles and girls’ clothing including bras. Further, some of the clothing items collected at Taylor Mountain and sent forward to Superior Court of WA were nearly identical in description to what a few of the girls were wearing.
- In the autopsies of victims in Utah, there was evidence of plying with alcohol and one victim at least per autopsy was shown to have alcohol poisoning and she’d been held for several days in his possession. There was evidence of bathing per a victim autopsy in Utah, something I had been stating for years before that information had been released. There were abandoned homes nearby – I question whether they were ever thoroughly checked for evidence that the missing girls had been held there. My memories clearly included a location that “smelled musty” and this had been stated years before the records were released to me. Evidence of bondage, evidence of drugging or alcohol [even bongs which raise suspicions of marijuana use something Ted was known to do]. A lean to was found in addition to the homes. And then there are the multiple witness statements that Ted knew the area well as far back as 1971 and 1972 and that by his own admission he was “sick” before he met Liz in 1969 and he “acted on it” in 1971, 1972, 1973. In fact in one of those witness statements the person described Bundy driving with him past the exact entrance to the Taylor Mountain kill site in 1972. These are all in the original case files and they corroborate each other as do the official findings of those searches of Taylor Mountain and Issaquah.
- My experiences that I had been coming forward with were mirroring what he’d done to victims in Utah and WA State knew it. He had been using me as a repeat victim, toying with my life and releasing me in a state of awakening where I was unable to remember what had happened to me and barely able to walk and the release of me was always at night and around parties where people would think my stumbling was due to alcohol and not due to kidnapping and sexual assault. Bundy told Hagmaier behind the scenes that he was picking up a woman and releasing her unharmed but he never named the person – that is documented in the original transcripts: it was me and I wasn’t a woman but a girl of only 16 when it started and 19 when in spring of 1974 I began fearing for my life and was already suffering from severe rape trauma, stalking trauma and PTSD. WA State had the autopsy reports from Utah, they knew the specifics, they knew there was a survivor somewhere and they knew all the evidence found at Taylor Mountain including skeletal remains.
- Bundy was known to have weapons.Contrary to what has been put forward by WA State, he was known to have a knife and had been reported to have a gun by at least one witness who was credible at the time. He also used a weapon for strangulation. That strangulation type of weapon was found in Utah at the crime scenes of at least two victims and is documented in their autopsy reports. That specific type of strangulation weapon was taken into custody in the spring/summer of 1975 by WA State officials and forwarded to the Superior Court – it was taken and recorded as coming from Bundy. Evidence at the scenes also showed weapons.
- A knife sheath was found on site in WA State at one location. An oriental knife was reported as stolen in WA State and then returned and the person implicated was Bundy. There was a sheath found at one of the WA Sites. There were gun shell casings found at Taylor Mountain and witness statements that gun shots were heard in that area. Victims had evidence of wounds in very specific spots in their anatomy when found – their skeletons showed these wounds. A weapon had been used on them, more than strangulation. Strangulation also was done not manually but with a weapon used for that purpose– a very specific type that is noted in the records as found in Utah and also one was found in WA State. That ligature weapon was taken into custody in spring or summer of 1975 in WA State and associated to Bundy. It matched by description a similar ligature noted with at least one Utah victim. Again the correlations – WA State had the evidence and failed to act. This is never discussed publicly.
- I told a person connected to this case that I had an unnatural fear of knives long before I received the records which verified weapons associations to Bundy.
- Bundy talked behind the scenes to authorities about a woman [I was a girl of 16 when this all started] that he had been kidnapping and releasing to test his skills. These statements are in the original transcripts and had been given to the FBI. I was that woman [only I was just a girl] and I line up to the case in over 50 points of reference, characteristics and proximity and locations over four years.
- I had been stating for years that he had been surveilling my parents’ home, that we’d had things stolen, including pots and pans which were expensive and a set of such pots and pans was noticed by Liz and also was found at Bundy’s apartment in Utah. Bundy was known to surveille some of his victims before abducting them and entering their homes ahead of time clandestinely. I could not have known of this back in 2001 when I started coming forward.
- Records sealed away indicate that Bundy may have been researching victims he took in 1974 earlier than 1974. Evidence shows that there was activity in Linda Healy’s area within a few doors of where she lived before she disappeared. There were break in attempts at several locations on young girls and one time it was called in to the police to come out as there were fingerprints on the window ledge that could have been collected but they did not come out. There was activity in that area noted by police as far back as 1973. There were over 50 girls missing and murdered or unidentified in a three county area around King County during the early years of the 1970s and one of those girls was found at a lake only 10 miles from the trail head of Taylor Mountain where Bundy’s kill site of 1975 was found. How many of these sites had he been developing? We’ll never know since they violated public trust and contaminated the evidence and destroyed evidence and lied about evidence. Keppel knew of these missing girls as he had the records of that time period but these records were with the Seattle police and he was with King County and there were some political competitive issues between these jurisdictions back then that make me wonder whether the Bundy cases were compromised in WA State long before the 1974 series of disappearing girls began.
- And then on top of all of this, you have the political ramifications of a serial killer being embedded into the justice system of at least 2 states [WA and Utah] and developing friendships with the very people who would be trying to solve his murders and find him. How fortunate for him that so much evidence was destroyed or “lost” so that his real total will never be actually known. It may not have ever been anyway, but there were many girls thrown away with that evidence whose voices for justice are now forever silenced by the very justice system that should have been working to protect them even in death.
Some may feel at this point it is a lost cause to revisit Bundy cases but the truth is, it is very important. The evidence sealed away raises questions about policy and procedure and cases that are still open in WA State and elsewhere that are not closed. WA State issued an edict stating that only DNA would be considered in 2011 but DNA would degrade in any remnant of a site or remains and evidence found now unless it was in a property room and WA State made sure that would never happen when they ordered evidence to be thrown away per internal memo. Per the records there is not much that remains. In other states and cases forensic science has advanced to the point where DNA is only a tool – there are many other types of forensic science in use and if evidence in the Bundy cases had been preserved and protected as well as the case information then the unsolved cases around him could have been worked effectively. This is a travesty of justice.
WA State has continued to silence me over the years, coming in behind media, attorneys and other even while it puts out its false narrative. But there is a story here…and it is very important to the understanding of what Bundy did to victims while he held them in captivity during those years 1970 to 1974 because that is what he did to me and it started not in 1974 but in 1970 when I was 16. That activity in 1970 is also supported by the records that were in WA State possession and which should have been worked. He stalked me continually for four years, he abducted me, he followed me out of state and around WA State and he killed someone I knew. He terrorized me to the depths of my being and it took me decades, absolutely decades, to even begin to heal.
He was active as a killer and rapist long before 1974. Not only was he raping me during that early time period but records show he had been reported for rape by another woman in 1972 and that he was already using the imbibing with alcohol at that time. That imbibing too was in my memories and earliest recollections of him in 1972. Our statements support each other even though I never knew of her nor she of me and even though I’ve never met her. I knew what car he was driving in 1971 [never released] and I knew other important details never released. These cases should have been worked. There may have been another kill site in WA that was never found because officials stopped looking. There was the body of a young girl found at Echo Lake, earlier than 1974, who was never identified and that location is only 10 miles from the Taylor Mountain trail head. The authorities have damaged this case beyond belief. It is tragic. I don’t know if Bundy killed her but he was active before 1974 and to deny that is not only not intuitive to solving cases, but is callous to the many girls whose cases are not solved – in three counties alone in the early 1970s there were 58 girls missing and murdered and cases not solved per the records.
I started this blog to reach out to the public because the issues of this case are critically important to the health of our justice system: it’s bigger than Bundy. This needs to be public because it is a case which can create changes in the laws and accountability of agencies like AG Offices and the FBI. I wrote to the FBI and to the DOJ begging them to investigate it and they responded to me that they were not going to do it as it “wasn’t their area or responsibility”. So whose responsibility is it to investigate internal corruption? This is an abuse of power issue. I am grateful to everyone who reads my blogs and reaches out to me or who writes to authorities to obtain justice in these cases. I need your voice to stand up for the victims – not just me but the girls who were unknown at those kill sites as evidenced by unidentified remains and multiple items of clothing and jewelry that they callously threw away.
They were somebody’s children….